2020 Wisconsin Lawyers Chapter Conference
Time & Location
About the Event
The 2020 Wisconsin Lawyers Chapter Conference will take place over three days, with virtual lunchtime panels on Tuesday, September 1 and Wednesday, September 2, followed by a socially distanced cocktail reception and keynote address by Senator Ron Johnson at the Ingleside Hotel in Pewaukee. More information about each event can be found below. Please register individually for all events you wish to attend.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
Despite recent Supreme Court decisions addressing key aspects of election law, many questions affecting the vote remain unanswered. What limits does the Constitution put on rules governing maintenance of voter rolls? Following Rucho v. Common Cause, what if anything should policymakers do to address districts drawn through partisan gerrymanders? How secure from hacking are the electronic systems used to count votes? What problems, if any, does "dark money" pose to democratic elections? This panel will address these issues and others related to election integrity with a view to the 2020 presidential election.
- Rick Esenberg, Founder, President and General Counsel, Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty
- Lester A. Pines, Senior Partner, Pines Bach
- Ryan Walsh, Partner, Eimer Stahl LLP (Moderator)
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 2 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
What is the proper role of state attorneys general and the courts in litigation in seeking to nullify federal law? Panelists will discuss the difference in approach between Wisconsin during the Obama administration and other state's efforts during the Trump administration with a particular emphasis on the role of state AGs and the role of the courts in issuing nationwide injunctions. Are nationwide injunctions "legally and historically dubious," as Justice Thomas has described them?
- Jeffrey Mandel, Partner & Co-chair of Stafford Rosenbaum’s Litigation Practice Group
- Michael Morley, Assistant Professor, Florida State University College of Law
- Misha Tseyltlin, Partner, Troutman Pepper
- Hon. Rebecca Bradley, Wisconsin Supreme Court (Moderator)
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 3 4:00 PM - 6:30 PM
Please join the Milwaukee and Madison Lawyers Chapters for a socially distanced cocktail reception and keynote address!
- Sen. Ron Johnson, U.S. Senator, Wisconsin
Please contact Kate Fugate at email@example.com with questions.